Oral Cancer Screenings
Oral cancer screenings are pro-active measures against the threat of cancer affecting the throat and the oral cavity. Your lips, gums, cheek lining, the front part of your tongue, the floor of the mouth located under the tongue, and the roof of your mouth or the hard palate are all part of your oral cavity. The clinic of Justin Devack DMD PA in Tamarac, FL offers oral cancer screenings to check and monitor the health of your throat and oral cavity, so that if required, appropriate action may be taken as early as possible.
Difficulty in swallowing, persistent hoarseness, lumps in the neck, changes in tongue movement and even earaches could be warning signs that are often not heeded because they are generally painless. Oral cancer screenings can be extremely useful to determine whether a condition is due to infection or cancer.
Each screening follows a standardized procedure, for purposes of thoroughness and greater accuracy.
- Your dental history comes first. Related questions about your health and medicines you take or have taken will also be asked. Inquiries will also be made regarding your lifestyle (for example, if you smoke or not).
- Precise and candid replies will greatly help your dentist to determine if certain parts of your oral cavity need more examination, as well as help in decision making later on.
- Then, you will be asked to open your mouth for visual inspection.
- If you wear dentures or other dental appliances, you will be asked to remove them to ensure a clearer view of your oral cavity.
- Careful palpation comes next. Your neck and jaw are examined by touch, to check for any signs of unusual growth in the lymph nodes.
- Soft tissues in the floor of your mouth are also palpated. The roof of your mouth will also be checked.
- Visual and manual inspection of the insides of your cheeks and lips is done to see if there are red and white patches or thickening, which could be signs of pre-cancerous growth.
- Your tongue will also be inspected for any change in texture, size, and color. You will be asked to stick your tongue out to check for lesions.
A comprehensive screening done visually and manually by your dentist is a reliable way of verifying your oral health. To find out if you need an oral cancer screening, please call (954) 715-1522 for your appointment. The clinic of Justin Devack DMD PA is at 4600 W Commercial Blvd Suite 2 Tamarac, FL 33319