Cosmetic Bonding is a dental procedure that your dentist may recommend to improve or restore the beauty of your smile. Cosmetic Bonding involves the use of tooth-colored plastic or resin material for bonding with a patient’s tooth.
Patients who may have fractured, decayed or discolored teeth will benefit from this treatment. The practice of Justin Devack DMD, PA in Tamarac, FL also recommends it to those who want to make their teeth appear longer, or who want to avoid amalgam fillings in order to have a more natural looking smile.
Cosmetic bonding may take anywhere from half an hour to an hour or more. It depends on the number of teeth that require bonding and whether you need the procedure to improve the appearance of decayed teeth, to lengthen your teeth, or to remove existing gaps in your front teeth. In general, though, the whole procedure involves the following steps:
- You and your dentist will discuss the purpose of your cosmetic bonding.
- Once your treatment goals are established, your dentist will assess your teeth color and use a shade guide to select the closest matching composite resin color.
- After proper color selection, your dentist will roughen the surface of the tooth by slightly scraping it. A rough tooth enamel helps in making the cosmetic bond adhere better.
- Next, your dentist will use a conditioning liquid that will increase bonding adherence. This liquid will be put on the tooth under treatment.
- The tooth-colored resin will then be applied, with your dentist molding and smoothing its contours until it is shaped properly.
- Laser or ultraviolet light will be used on the tooth to harden the tooth-colored resin.
- When hardening is achieved, trimming, shaping and polishing follow. This is to ensure that the overall look of the cosmetically bonded tooth will match those of your surrounding teeth.
Certain food and drinks can stain the resin in your cosmetically bonded tooth, much in the same way that such food and drinks can stain your natural teeth.
Our office recommends to patients who have undergone cosmetic bonding to avoid smoking, drinking tea or coffee, or eating food with color-staining ingredients such as turmeric, for at least 48 hours after the procedure.
If you are interested in this procedure, please call (954) 715-1522 to schedule your appointment. Our office address is 4600 W Commercial Blvd Suite 2 Tamarac, FL 33319.